Sunday 22 April 2018

John le Carré - A Legacy Of Spies


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Vintage le Carré


I thought A Legacy Of Spies was excellent.  I've not been all that keen on much of le Carré's post-Cold War output (with a couple of notable exceptions) but this sees him back to his best I think.

Here, Peter Guillam is called back to account for his and others' behaviour in a Cold War-era operation as Twenty-First Century standards are applied by those who were affected and by politicians.  It helps to have read both The Spy Who Came In From The Cold and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy in order to understand fully what has happened here.  Guillam narrates an account of the questioning, his reviewing of documents and his memories of the time, and I found it riveting.  There is care over tradecraft, genuine humanity and believable characters, all done in le Carré's beautiful, calm and poised prose.  There are no high-speed chases, nor one-to-one stand-offs in a deserted location or any other of the standard clichés of the genre, but there is an atmosphere of real threat and some genuine nerve-tingling suspense.

I see that some other reviewers have found this sub-standard, but I disagree.  I think this compares with le Carré's best, and he still has the gift of compassionate human insight.  For example, he says of one old torture victim, "The tortured are a class apart.  You can imagine – just – where they have been, but never what they've brought back."  That is of the highest class, I think, and there's plenty of a similar standard here.  I found this profound and gripping and it's very warmly recommended.

(My thanks to Penguin Books for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment