Tuesday 2 August 2016

Helen Callaghan - Dear Amy


Rating: 3/5

Review:
A decent beach read



I thought this was a well written book which had its moments, but overall I found it rather implausible and unsatisfying.

Dear Amy is a psychological thriller:  Margot is an English teacher in Cambridge who also writes the "Dear Amy" agony column for the local newspaper.  One of the students at her school goes missing, and "Amy" begins to receive distressed requests for help…but from a different girl who disappeared many years ago.  It's an ingenious set-up and is quite well done, but the implausibilities and clichés did begin to become too much for me.  The sceptical police, the sexy, attractive (and, of course, entirely unattached) investigator, the Not Knowing Whom To Trust…and so on.  There are also quite long periods of irrelevant tedium at times (a description of the making of a reconstruction which goes on for pages and pages, for example), and I'm afraid I found both the explanation of the mystery of the letters and the inevitable Confrontation With The Killer In A Deserted Location Climax pretty hard to swallow.

That said, Helen Callaghan writes well, Margot is an engaging protagonist, the book is easy to read and I found the closing scene genuinely touching.  It's certainly not a bad book and plenty of others have enjoyed this more than I did; for me, though, it's a decent beach read but not much more.

(I received an ARC via Netgalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment