Tuesday 23 August 2016

Forrest Leo - The Gentleman


Rating: 1/5

Review:
Lazy, unconvincing and unfunny



I don't like writing wholly critical reviews, but I'm afraid I hated The Gentleman.  I had expected to enjoy it as a clever comic romp, but – very unusually for me – I abandoned it in sheer annoyance after a few chapters.

The premise is good: it purports to be a first person account (edited by a friend) of the unwilling adventures of a Victorian Gentleman who is idle, profligate and vain, but entirely self-deluded as to his own prowess as a writer (and most other things).  I was hoping for wit and a clever parody of Victorian style and mores.  I'm afraid what I got was a lazy, careless pastiche of Victorian style by yet another US author who thinks that Victorian gentlemen said things like "which boggled the mind" or "has gotten worse" or "I can't figure out…" (all this in just the first few pages), or that an aristocratic Victorian young lady of sixteen would respond to unexpected news with "Oh my God.  Oh my *God*."  It was at this point that I really began to lose patience, and I bailed out a little while later – not just because she continually spoke like a present-day Californian teenager but because the whole thing is sloppy, unconvincing and nothing like as funny as it thinks it is.

I'm sorry to be so harsh, and it's unusual for me to dislike a book so vehemently, but I really don’t think this should be foisted on a British audience.  In order to work, even as a comic novel, it needs to have some degree of accuracy and verisimilitude.  It's as though I had written an action thriller about a daring US Marine sortie into present-day Syria, say, where the commander says things like, "I say, you chaps – buck up!" 

Enough.  Personally I'd recommend giving this one a wide berth.

(I received an ARC via Netgalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment