Sunday 10 July 2016

Liz Nugent - Lying In Wait


Rating: 5/5

Review:
An excellent psychological thriller



I thought this was a very good book.  It is a tense, well written and disturbing psychological thriller.  The book is set in Dublin beginning in 1980 and is told in the first person by three different characters: a woman involved in a murder, her over-protected son and the victim's sister.   The voices are very convincing, and the story is extremely well told. 

Although a crime drives the whole plot, it is not a whodunit. The murder is revealed in the first sentence; the book begins, "My husband did not mean to kill Annie Doyle, but the lying tramp deserved it.  After we had overcome the initial shock, I tried to stop him speaking of her.  I did not allow it..."  This gives a flavour of the style, which is direct and readable while being an authentic, revealing voice.  That word "allow" establishes the character of the mother brilliantly; she is a selfish, manipulative monster of callousness and self-deception.  I found the psychology of her character very believable, which is by no means always the case in novels of this kind.

I also thought the other characters, both the narrative voices and others, were very well done, as was the sense of place and the crushingly oppressive moral atmosphere of the time.  There is a fine, building sense of tension as the consequences of the murder play out over years, there are unexpected, sometimes shocking developments and I was reminded of both Hitchcock and Patricia Highsmith's Ripley – which is high praise.

This is dark and harrowing in places, but I found it a very gripping read, with some penetrating insights.

(I received an ARC via Netgalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment