Friday 1 July 2016

Camilleri - August Heat


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Enjoyable if flawed

This is another very readable, enjoyable book in Camilleri's Montalbano series. All the things we have come to expect from previous books are there - the excellent sense of place, the world-weary cynicism about the corruption in the Italian system, the food (naturally), the rather clumsy comic turns by Catarella and so on. It moves at a good pace, the dialogue is snappy and I found myself keen to get back and read some more when I had the opportunity, which is always a good sign.

The book isn't perfect by any means. The translation is very clumsy in places - so much so that several times it really jarred - and some of the plot elements are frankly absurd, but I still found it a very enjoyable and quite rewarding read and I can certainly recommend it warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment