Friday 14 August 2015

Terry Pratchett - The Truth


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Funny, wise and humane - Pratchett at his best

A Terry Pratchett novel scarcely needs another review from me, but I have just re-read this for the third or fourth time and thought I'd add my voice to the chorus of praise for it.

For me, this is among Pratchett's best. He is brilliant here - funny (of course) but also wise, humane and very insightful into the workings of the press and how a free press influences and checks those in power. He does all this within an exciting, beautifully paced narrative with his usual array of very well painted characters both new and familiar. (I have been in love with Sergeant Angua for years and was pleased to see her make a brief but welcome appearance). He uses them to make delicate points about race relations, generosity and meanness of spirit, what "sorry" might really mean, the responsible use of power and so on. It is all presented in Pratchett's typical witty, readable style - like this exchange between The Patrician and Willam de Worde, who is producing a newspaper:
`So . . . we have what the people are interested in, and human interest stories, which is what humans are interested in, and the public interest, which no one is interested in.'
`Except the public, sir,' said William, trying to keep up.
`Which isn't the same as people and humans?'
`I think it's more complicated than that, sir.'
`Obviously. Do you mean that the public is a different thing from the people you just see walking about the place? The public thinks big, sensible, measured thoughts while people run around doing silly things?'
`I think so. I may have to work on that idea too, I admit.'

No need to go on, I suspect. In short, this is high-quality Pratchett, and it doesn't get much better that that. Very warmly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment