Sunday 16 August 2015

Jack Heath - Replica


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A terrific YA thriller

I thought this was a terrific YA thriller. Its basic idea is excellent and the narrative moves at a terrific pace.

The book is set in Canberra, Australia in the near future and told in the first person. It is hard to give a flavour of the story without spoiling too much - the first ten pages or so are a great set-up and I would have hated to know even that much before starting the book. It's a thoughtful and intelligent story, but crammed with action. You may find yourself able to anticipate some of the plot "twists", but that didn't matter to me at all; the characters are very well painted and the story has a good structure and it's so well done that I just enjoyed the ride. [I have to add, though, that the author's understanding of the mechanism and effects of electromagnetism doesn't reflect well on his physics teachers. :o) ]

The book is aimed at young adults, but this definitely-not-young adult also enjoyed it immensely and I can recommend it as a gripping, exciting and also rather thought-provoking book.

No comments:

Post a Comment