Saturday 12 October 2019

Mark Hebden - Death Set To Music


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Well written and enjoyable

I enjoyed Death Set To Music. Written in 1979, this is the first of the Inspector Pel series (and the first that I have read); it is a decent police procedural with some amusing aspects which is very well written.

Pel is an Inspector in the French Police, based in Burgundy. He is a grumpy, rather misanthropic hypochondriac, but a very good detective. Here he and his team investigate the gruesome murder of a fairly wealthy woman and the story unfolds slowly (rather too slowly at times) as Pel’s well-drawn officers diligently pursue leads. It can drag a bit, but it isn’t too long, it was well written and had enough humour to keep me interested. The denouement was a little contrived but it didn’t spoil the book and I found the whole thing an enjoyable read.

I can’t say that this is a classic, but it’s certainly good enough for me to read more of Inspector Pel and I can recommend it.

(My thanks to Farrago for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment