Saturday 9 July 2022

Georges Simenon - The Yellow Dog


 
Rating: 4/5
 
Review:
An enjoyable early Maigret
 
I enjoyed The Yellow Dog. It’s a very early Maigret, but Simenon is now hitting his stride, I think.

Maigret is called to a small coastal town out of season, where a mysterious shooting has taken place, followed by a number of other curious incidents, including the arrival of the eponymous yellow dog. The mystery is well constructed and involves a number of the town’s prominent citizens – who have a strong idea of their prominence. It is an excellent portrait of small-town politics and social positioning, with quite a frank exposé of some of the sexual mores in that time and place. The characters are very well drawn and we see Maigret’s taciturn and – almost – imperturbable demeanour while listening, thinking and refusing to be influenced by authority. It is a pleasure to read.

These new Penguin translations – this one by Linda Asher – have made all the difference for me when reading Maigret. I found the 50s and 60s translations I first read to be rather stodgy, but these read very well. I am enjoying slowly working my way through the series and I can recommend The Yellow Dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment