Saturday 4 December 2021

Elizabeth George - Something To Hide

 

Rating: 2/5
 
Review:
Not for me

I’m badly out of step with the majority of reviewers because didn’t get on with Something To Hide at all, I’m afraid. I found it long-winded, slow and very overdone.

The main story, when we finally get to it, involves Lynley, Havers and Nkata investigating the murder of a fellow detective, which eventually leads to an organisation committing female genital mutilation. This is a very important issue, but I found the storytelling so slow and turgid that I simply couldn’t get into it at all. I’m all for thorough research, a well-painted background and carefully developed characters, but Elizabeth George tells us so much in painstaking (and for me, pain-giving) and repetitive detail I began to skim and didn’t feel I was missing much. I think the book, at 600-odd pages, could have done with some severe editing down.

Others have plainly loved this book, so do read more reviews before being put off by mine, but it wasn’t for me.

(My thanks to Hodder & Stoughton for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment