Thursday 21 October 2021

Julia Spencer-Fleming - Hid From Our Eyes

 

Rating: 3/5
 
Review:
Rather disappointing 
 
Hid From Our Eyes is the first book in this series that I have read and I found it rather a disappointment. This may well be partly the effect of joining a lengthy series so late, but I had some serious reservations about the book itself.

The plot concerns three similar, mysterious deaths of young women; one in the present day, one in the early 70s and one in the early 50s. We get details of the investigations intercut, plus all sorts of other issues in the present day story: a bid to close Miller’s Kill Police Department, Clare’s ongoing struggles with motherhood and addiction, Russ having been a suspect in one of the previous cases, the stories of how successive Police Chiefs were recruited, a lawsuit against the department, an affair gone badly wrong between two officers, a transgender intern at the church...and so on.

Frankly, it’s all too much, and the phrase much ado about nothing did spring to mind once or twice. Julia Spencer-Fleming writes well, but there is so much going on everywhere that it dilutes any real impact or involvement I may have had, and the sense of policing in a small New England community is rather better evoked (and with a good deal more humour and humanity) by Castle Freeman. The thread about the three deaths had a frankly absurd denouement and I reached the end with a little relief.

There was enough here to warrant three stars, but only just. I note that one reviewer has said that the earlier books were better so I might give the beginning of the series a try, but I won’t be rushing, I’m afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment