Tuesday 28 September 2021

Jen Campbell - Weird Things Customers Say In Bookshops

 

Rating: 3/5
 
Review:
Quite amusing in short sections 
 
I read this after a recommendation in Shaun Bythell’s excellent The Diary Of A Bookseller. I quite enjoyed it but I was left just a little disappointed.

The book is a collection of odd, silly or offensive things people have said in bookshops. That’s it; there is none of the scene-setting or development of Bythell’s Diary, which leaves it a bit like a sort of bibliographical version of those Humorous Things Schoolchildren Have Written collections. It’s fine to dip into, but reading more than a few in a row can get a bit wearing, I found. I also wondered about the exact verisimilitude of some of the exchanges and whether some had been touched up a bit in retrospect to make them funnier.

This is fine as a short, dip-into collection, but for me it wasn’t that special.

No comments:

Post a Comment