Wednesday 9 December 2020

Kristen Lepionka - Once You Go This Far

 

Rating: 4/5
 
Review:
Another enjoyable instalment 

I’m enjoying the Roxanne Weary series. Kristen Lepionka writes well and Roxanne herself is an engaging, flawed character with an interesting, believable personal life which doesn’t intrude unnecessarily into the story.

This time, Roxanne is almost witness to the death of a woman who apparently fell while hiking in the woods, and is hired to investigate how it happened. This leads her into a complex case involving a mysteriously missing woman and her children, the politics of women’s health and a sinister fundamentalist religious group. It’s well done and gripping, with Roxanne’s narrative voice a very engaging companion. The sense of place is, as always, very strong, Roxanne’s relationship with Tom develops in interesting and plausible ways and I found myself very involved for much of the book’s length.

The book does have a couple of weaknesses: Lepionka is very keen on the big set-piece climax in which Roxanne has to try to save the day, which in this case didn’t really convince me and had a somewhat contrived feel. Also, there are a lot of characters who only appear occasionally but importantly which meant I wasn’t always sure who was who at critical moments. Nonetheless, I found it a very enjoyable read; I can recommend it and I’m looking forward to the next in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment