Wednesday 30 September 2020

Derek B. Miller - Radio LIfe

 

Rating: 3/5
 
Review:
Not bad, not great 
 
Hmmm. Post-apocalyptic SF isn’t my normal genre but I loved both Norwegian By Night and American By Day so I gave Radio Life a go. It’s not bad by any means, but it didn’t really do much for me.

Set at least a century in the future, the world has been all but destroyed and access to buried old knowledge and technology is valued by The Commonwealth but very difficult because of a Sickness still lurking in the Gone World, and because of others who want to destroy all old knowledge before it destroys the world again. Serious conflict looms...

It’s a decent set-up and Miller writes very well, of course, but I somehow never quite engaged with either the world he creates nor the characters he fills it with. It just felt a little laboured, somehow, and I was always looking in at what Miller was doing rather than being caught up in his world. This may just be me, and I think that fans of the enre may well enjoy Radio Life very much. For me, though, it’s not in the same league as, say, Cormac McCarthy’s The Road or Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban. Only a qualified recommendation from me, I’m afraid.

(My thanks to Quercus for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment