Friday 31 July 2020

Dorothy Gilman - The Unexpected Mrs Pollifax


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Very enjoyable

I thoroughly enjoyed The Unexpected Mrs Pollifax – and I wasn’t at all sure that I would. I found it witty, endearing and rather a gripping story, too.

Mrs Pollifax, a 60-something year old, well-to-do, respectable widow decides she needs to give her life meaning and presents herself at the CIA to volunteer as a spy. Through a slightly silly series of events she is recruited to go on a very routine mission to Mexico City to collect a package. No-one knows who she is and her cover as a tourist is perfect, but (needless to say) things do not go as planned and take a very sinister turn. An exciting plot of kidnap and peril ensues, in which Mrs Pollifax remains very much herself, but discovers the value of some of her solid personal qualities.

It could have been dreadful but Dorothy Gilman strikes a lovely, subtle balance of wit and a little farce occasionally with a very decent, exciting plot and some shrewd insights into human nature and the importance of life. It’s very well written and I read it with unalloyed pleasure (although some allowance does need to be made for the political attitudes of 1966 when it was written). I can recommend it warmly and will certainly be reading more in the series.

(My thanks to Farrago Books for an ARC.)

No comments:

Post a Comment