Sunday 19 January 2020

Carol O'Connell - Mallory's Oracle


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Not a great Mallory book

I’ve read several of the later books in this series and thought they were terrific. This one, the opener, didn’t work so well for me.

Carol O’Connell’s excellent prose style is already there, but I found the narrative a bit cumbersome and opaque. The plot is scattered with characters and is pretty hard to follow in places, and even by the end I wasn’t sure exactly what had happened in some places. More importantly, Mallory worked brilliantly for me in the later books as a fully formed character – beautiful, extremely intelligent and bordering on psychopathic. In Mallory’s Oracle we get a lengthy explanation of her origins and the development of her character which I found a little laboured.

On the whole I’m glad I didn’t start with this; I might not have read more and I would have missed out on some excellent books. I’ll be catching up on the rest of my unread books in the series, but this wasn’t a favourite by any means.

No comments:

Post a Comment