Friday 15 February 2019

Holly Watt - To The Lions


Rating: 2/5

Review:
hard going

In the end I’m afraid I found To The Lions pretty hard going. Holly Watt is a fine investigative journalist, but doesn’t really manage to make the transition from journalism to fiction.

It begins very well as Casey (an investigative journalist) overhears something very disturbing while in a nightclub following another story and decides to follow it up. Watt is excellent in her descriptions of the process of investigative journalism and I was very involved as the process began. However, other aspects of the book were far less successful and, sadly, crammed with cliché both in the story and often in the prose – something I would expect an experienced journalist to avoid like the plague. :o) Things began to go wrong for me when Casey’s love interest becomes involved, which I found thoroughly unconvincing both in content and description. At around the same time, the book starts to get bogged down in worthy journalistic exposition. Watt makes very serious and important points...but she doesn’t really do it as a novelist and it doesn’t make good reading.

I found myself less and less involved. I wasn’t convinced by any aspect of the storytelling and found the style increasingly off-putting. It’s a pity after a promising start, but this one wasn’t for me.

(My thanks to Raven Books for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment