Thursday 22 November 2018

Quintin Jardine - A Brush With Death


Rating: 3/5

Review:
A bit of a struggle

This is the first Quintin Jardine I have read. I can see that many people love this series and A Brush With Death was recommended by a friend whose judgement I trust, but I though it was a bit plodding and not very involving.

Here, DI Lottie Mann and DS Dan Provan are called to the death of a very high-profile ex-World Champion boxer. Their investigation throws up all sorts of murky, tangled intrigues, both personal and in the dodgier end of the boxing world, while dealing with their own domestic problems. Retired Chief Constable Bob Skinner is called in to help and we get almost two parallel investigations at times.

It’s OK. The characters are well drawn and behave pretty rationally (which is always a bonus). However, I thought the plot sprawled a bit and there is too much clunky exposition, often by characters telling each other what they already know. Just as an example: early on, a character says to someone else who also knows Skinner very well, “His media job’s using up all the time he can spare from helping Sarah out with the new baby and getting to know Ignacio, the son he never knew he had until the boy was eighteen years old and needed his help.” I mean – come on! That’s about as clumsy as it gets, and although most of it isn’t on that level, there’s enough of this sort of thing to keep throwing me out of the story.

I am in a small minority here, so don’t let my single review put you off, but I can only give this a very qualified recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment