Sunday 21 October 2018

Cornwall & Trevelyan - Scoundrels 2, The Hunt For Hansclapp


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Funny and enjoyable

I enjoyed this second volume of Scoundrels even more than the first, about which I had some reservations. In Volume 2, the gross humour and absurdity is all still there but toned down a couple of notches most of the time, which to me made it a rather funnier parody of those Ripping Yarns of effortlessly gifted posh boys saving the world.

The plot...well, the plot is bonkers as our two heroes go on various “undertakings” for the club throughout the late 50s and the 60s, but it sort of hangs together, though, as they attempt to save the world from arch-villain Hansclapp. It makes for very entertaining reading which made me laugh out loud several times as they become absurdly embroiled in major (sorry) world events, with Hollywood stars and even in the Wimbledon Mixed Doubles Championship. It’s full of sexual and genitally-based humour and some of it (like the wedding photos) is just shameless schoolboy innuendo, so be warned – the more sensitive reader may find it crude and offensive. Personally, though, I found it well done enough to make me laugh rather than cringe. There are some very funny and innocent jokes, too (including a fine running gag about cigarettes), plus some rather touching events as well, so there’s a good deal more to it than just somewhat gross knockabout humour.

This may not be an immortal comedy classic, but I enjoyed it very much so I’ve rounded 4.5 stars up to 5. If it sounds like your sort of thing, do give it a try. I was a bit sceptical before I read Scoundrels, but found it a really amusing read and I can recommend it warmly.

(My thanks to Farrago for an ARC via NetGalley.)


No comments:

Post a Comment