Tuesday 4 September 2018

Lawrence Osborne - Only To Sleep


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Rather dull 

I’m afraid I found Only To Sleep pretty dull and rather aptly titled for me. As a lover of Chandler’s originals I approached it with some scepticism, especially after John Banville’s The Black-Eyed Blonde, which I thought was a pretty dreadful pastiche of Chandler’s style. This was stylistically better, but really didn’t add up to much.

It’s a good idea in many ways to set the book in 1988, when Marlowe is 74 years old; his narrative voice is calmer, less snappy and the wisecracks and brilliant similes almost absent. It’s reasonably plausible from an older Marlowe and avoids having to try to imitate the inimitable originals. The trouble is, it’s not very interesting. The plot, such as it is, revolves around a dodgy death in Mexico, to where Marlowe has now retired. He is persuaded to look into the matter by an insurance company who aren’t happy about the claim and then...not very much happens. I remember an old Private Eye parody of one of the le Carré TV adaptations along the lines of:
Lengthy shot of Smiley walking slowly up a lane to the door of a house.
Smiley knocks.
Long pause.
Window opens upstairs and a woman’s face appears.
Smiley: “My name is Smiley. George Smiley.”
Pause.
Woman: “Go away!”
Window slams. Long close-up of Smileys thoughtful face. Eventually he turns away.
Lengthy shot of Smiley’s back as he walks slowly away from the house.
Repeat for four following scenes.

Well, I got rather that feeling with Only To Sleep. Marlowe talks to a lot of people whom we don’t know in unfamiliar places so it’s all rather hard to keep track of. A very slow picture of the dead man emerges. Slowly. And so on. Without Chandler’s matchless prose, human insight and wit to underpin it, the whole thing became dull to me and I began to skip, without feeling I was missing much.

This isn’t the mess that The Black-Eyed Blonde was, but it’s not a significant addition to the Marlowe canon either. I can’t really recommend it.

(My thanks to Vintage Digital for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment