Friday 22 June 2018

Claire Fuller - Bitter Orange


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Good, but with reservations


I like Claire Fuller's work very much and Bitter Orange is a beautifully written novel of repression, loneliness, guilt and the quest for redemption.  It is good but I did have my reservations.

The book is told in the first person and set mainly in 1969 as an old and dying woman, Frances Jellico, recalls that time.  It is the story of how Frances, newly released from an all-consuming carer's role looking after her cruel and critical mother takes a job cataloguing some of the contents of a derelict country house.  An eccentric and rather bohemian couple are also working there and the stories of the three of them emerge as the summer progresses and Frances begins to experience new aspects of life.

It is very well done.  Fuller writes beautifully and again inhabits the mind of a thoughtfully and richly portrayed female narrator.  She creates a fine atmosphere of decay and a sense of impending catastrophe along with a wholly convincing sense of place, so the whole thing is very readable.  However, I wasn't always convinced by Frances's actions, the "twist" didn't come as much of a surprise and overall I wasn't sure Bitter Orange had said much new to me. 

I did enjoy Bitter Orange, but didn't quite grab me in the same way as the outstanding Our Endless Numbered Days and the very good Swimming Lessons.  Claire Fuller is a very fine writer and I can still recommend this, but with a slight note of reservation.

(My thanks to Penguin Books for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment