Sunday 1 October 2017

Rene Denfeld - The Child Finder


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A good involving book



I thought this was pretty good, but I did have some reservations about it.  I read it because I thought that Rene Denfeld's first book, The Enchanted, was simply brilliant; although I enjoyed The Child Finder overall, this isn't really in the same class.

Naomi Cottle finds missing children in the USA.  She works freelance and alone and has talent for locating children, dead or alive, even though they may have been missing for years and the police investigations have failed.  In The Child Finder, she is looking for Madison who disappeared from a family outing in a high, cold part of Oregon three years ago.  We also get a lot about Naomi's own internal turmoil, her backstory and her current emotional life. 

It's all decently done; Denfeld writes well and the story is quite involving, but it all had a somewhat familiar feel to me and is rather like a lot of private detective novels in structure and feel.  The two cases sit rather uncomfortably together, some of the psychology seemed a bit iffy to me and I found the ending, following a good but slightly predictable climax, rather over-sentimental and a little implausible.  Nonetheless, there's plenty that's good about it and I found it quite a gripping and enjoyable read.

It's not clear whether this is the start of a series, but whatever Rene Denfeld chooses to write next, I'll read it.  Despite some reservations, I can recommend The Child Finder as a well written and readable book. 

(I received an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment