Friday 17 February 2017

James Oswald - Natural Causes


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Not for me



I read Written In Bones, the latest in this series, and thought it pretty average with some serious flaws.  I decided to give James Oswald one more go just to see whether I'd missed something.  I hadn't.

I'm afraid I didn't get on with this book at all.  Oswald's propensity for cliché in language plot and characterisation is well to the fore, I found the story pretty unconvincing and the whole thing just failed to engage me.  One of my biggest problems with Written In Bones was the ridiculous ending, and frankly, Natural Causes puts it in the shade; it's not just silly, it's plain bonkers in a supposedly serious crime novel.

So, James Oswald is not for me, it seems.  Plenty of others obviously enjoy his work very much, but personally I can't recommend this.

(I received an ARC via Netgalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment