Wednesday 23 November 2016

Caroline Graham - A Ghost In The Machine


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Very enjoyable



I enjoyed this book very much – and far more than I expected to.  I grew tired of the Midsomer Murders TV series a long time ago, but this is actually very different in tone and character from what the series became.  The book is a very good novel of character with crime as its plot driver.

A Ghost In the Machine is 550 pages long and I have to say that the first third of the book was good but a bit of a plod sometimes.  Caroline Graham paints intricate portraits of her characters and their lives and we spend a long time getting to know them while not much actually happens, but she does it very well and I did get quite involved in them.  The plot really begins to develop with a death after almost 200 pages, and by that time I was pretty well hooked.  The story is well told and pretty plausible, with the characters' behaviour very believable, which is by no means always the case in such books.  By half way I was immersed and gripped and I enjoyed the second half very much indeed – especially the lack of a ridiculous Cornered Killer Climax, but a plausible, sensible denouement which was no less gripping.

Graham writes very well.  She has a fine understanding of her characters and their motivations and there is genuine psychological insight here.  She paints some scathing portraits but others with genuine compassion and depictions of goodness, all of which I found very realistic.  The prose is a pleasure to read, with plenty of pithy phrases like the man welcoming people to a spiritualist evening: "He bared his teeth in a fearsome grimace of synthetic friendliness."  Or setting the scene and character neatly with "Choosing her moment carefully, after Alan Titchmarsh but before the snooker…"  It's excellent stuff.  (Oh, and you might be surprised by the real Sergeant Troy who, far from the lovable character of the TV series, is a lecherous, ignorant bigot - excellently portrayed.)

So, somewhat to my surprise, I can recommend this warmly as a very good, involving novel of character as well as being a gripping crime mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment