Tuesday 19 January 2016

Francesca Kay - The Long Room


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Beautifully written



I found this a gripping, superbly written book but I did have my reservations about it.

It is almost impossible to give an outline of the plot (such as it is) without divulging far more than I would have waned to know before I began.  Set in 1981, the protagonist is Stephen, a young man from a very ordinary background who, after going to Oxford is working as a "listener" for the Intelligence Services, listening to hours of surveillance tapes each day…and becoming completely besotted with the wife of one of the subjects.  The book is an almost forensic portrayal of his internal state as his infatuation leads him by tiny degrees into deeper and deeper water.

It's brilliantly done.  The atmosphere of the time, the period detail and the sense of cold and bleakness as Christmas approaches for Stephen are wonderfully evoked, and Francesca Kay's psychological portraits of both Stephen and his mother are exceptionally good, built up utterly convincingly from the minutiae of their everyday lives, thoughts and feelings.  Don't look for a fast-paced spy thriller, because this is anything but that, but it has a gripping, doom-laden feel which builds powerfully throughout the narrative and it's one of those books where I had to make an effort to bring myself out of  its world and readjust to reality after reading for any length of time.

My reservation is that, however lonely and besotted Stephen is, and however much he drinks, I couldn't quite believe that as a highly intelligent man he would be quite so foolish and naïve as to do some of the things he does, or to be blind to some of the obvious things he ought to see.  Toward the end, I even muttered "Oh, for heavens' sake" as he makes yet another ridiculous decision (or, more accurately, fails to make an even remotely sensible one).  This did take the gloss off an otherwise excellent book for me.

That aside, this is a fine book; it is exceptionally well written, very insightful and quite gripping, with brilliant portraits of a time and of its characters.  Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment