Sunday 22 November 2015

Carol O'Connell - The Chalk Girl


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A very enjoyable thriller

I really enjoyed this thriller. It is very well written and thoroughly gripping.

It is a complex tale involving multiple murder, criminality among New York's rich, corruption in high places and so on. This sounds like very standard fare but Carol O'Connell manages to breathe fresh life into it through the excellent team of Mallory and Striker whose relationship and approach is original, satisfying and sometimes very funny. The writing is excellent: O'Connell's prose is pacy, unfussy and very readable and the plot is superbly paced and structured. I found the present-day events gripping and the emergence of old horror extremely well done. The characters are well drawn (if a little over-done in places) and there are some very touching and occasionally heart-rending aspects to the book.

The whole thing kept me completely engrossed and I found it very enjoyable and satisfying. For some reason I have not come across Carol O'Connell before, but I will certainly be looking out her earlier Mallory books and warmly recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment